While the Call Of Duty franchise is one of gaming's most successful series, it still can't avoid dreaded error codes. The multiplayer community has been reporting Error Code 65538 ocurring in Warzone and Modern Warfare, and looking for ways to fix it.
With the new Season 4 update just around the corner, seeing any error codes when you could be dropping onto the new satellite crash site, or using the new nail gun weapon, will be especially frustrating.
We are here to help, with a guide to explain what the code is, and what you might be able to do, to resolve it. So whether you are playing on PC, PS4 or Xbox, this is where you need to be.
What is Call of Duty: Warzone Error Code 65538?
Error code 65538 seems to manifest itself when playing Warzone or Modern Warfare online. Users are reporting receiving the message:
"Unable to access online services"
Players are able to access a game lobby, but get booted out while the game is searching for a match. Occasionally, the game won't even launch at all. There are appear to be 5 main causes for this error:
- Your console has been disconnected from the internet.
- Issues with the Activision servers
- Your PC or console is not set to the right region or timezone.
- The game has an update pending, which has yet to be downloaded and installed.
- You have been banned or suspended from playing due to cheating and/or poor gaming etiquette.
So with these common causes in mind, what exactly can you do to fix them?
How to fix Warzone error code 65538
Here's a rundown of a few quick checks and fixes that could help fend off error code 65538 in Warzone.
Check Internet Connection
If it's a possible issue with your internet connection, the first thing to do is to try to refresh the network connection. The classic, turn your device off and back on again, may help with this. Alongside a power cycle, check your internet connection using another device, to see if the issue is with the network or not. You can also try to exit the game and rejoin it, to see whether this resolves matters for you.
Other connection related tips include:
- Make sure you don't have lots of other bandwidth heavy activities going on at the same time.
- Ensure there is nothing blocking the signal between your router and your PC/console.
- Try using a wired connection.
- Also check your connection speed, and contact your ISP if you aren't getting the speeds you normally would.
Error Code 65538 could be due to Activision Servers
If your internet connection looks to be working fine, then check whether there are any problems with the servers. Activision has a helpful tool here that will report any server issues. If they are experiencing problems, then you may just have to play the waiting game. Which is a much less exciting game than Call of Duty, admittedly.
READ MORE: Warzone vs Apex Legends player count
Incorrect Region or Timezone
On Xbox, you can update your location by completing the following:
- Sign in to your Xbox console.
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Select Profile & system > Settings > System > Language & location.
- Select your new location from the list, and then select Restart now.
On PlayStation and Windows, the only way you can change your region is by creating a new account. So if you have a VPN set up to access services that are only available in another region, this could explain the 65538 error you've been receiving.
Check for Warzone Updates
This is pretty straightforward; if you have any pending updates, download and install them, restart your device, and see if this resolves the issue.
Most of the time, updates are automatically installed, but it is worth double-checking, just in case you didn't have enough space for the download to begin.
If you've been suspended because you've been, ahem, bending the rules, or behaving badly towards other players, we can't help with that. You're just going to have to sit it out, until Activision lets you back in.
If you do feel your suspension was unfair, then you can lodge an appeal through Activision Support. Throw yourself on their mercy, and see if they are willing to allow you back in.
READ MORE: Is Warzone on GeForce Now in 2021?