With its release just around the corner, it's time for us to examine the FIFA 23 PS5 vs PS4 key differences. While both games will have much in common, there are some essential ingredients to separate the two.
But just how significant are those differences? We'll tell you everything you need to know. Kick-off is just around the corner, so here are the details.
FIFA 23 Release Date
FIFA 23 is scheduled for release on a few different dates, depending on whether you have EA Play, the Ultimate Edition, or the Standard Edition:
Here are the full FIFA 23 release date details:
- EA Play Early Access Trial: September 27, 2022
- FIFA 23 Ultimate Edition: September 27, 2022
- FIFA 23 Standard Edition: September 30, 2022
In terms of release date, it makes no difference whether you are on PS4 or PS5. They both release on the same day, which will vary as we highlighted above.
- Read More: Will NBA 2K23 Be On Game Pass?
FIFA 23 PS5 vs PS4 Main Differences
There are a lot of new features on FIFA 23. Many of these are available on both PS4 and PS5, but there is a significant number only available on PS5. These will primarily affect gameplay.
Let's take a look at those features:
- HyperMotion2 Gameplay Technology - HyperMotion2 is only available on PS5. This utilises two main systems - which we discuss below.
- Advanced 11v11 Match Capture - EA used motion capture suits to capture two complete matches played by professional teams, including a women's game. This means that FIFA 23 on PS5 will have even more realistic elements to matches.
- Machine Learning (“ML") - 11v11 Match Capture was applied to their machine learning algorithm, which led to the development to new features, such as Technical Dribbling and ML-Jockey.
- Technical Dribbling - this incorporates Active Touch form previous iterations of FIFA, and calculates a player's path to the ball. Turning and dribbling should feel more responsive.
- ML-Jockey - ML-Jockey is designed to both counter Technical Dribbling, and offer players more control while defending.
- ACCELERATE - this varies the way in which players accelerate. Some players will be more explosive, while others will make longer to reach top speed.
- Composed Ball Striking - HyperMotion2 and Advanced Match Capture have enabled EA to add this feature. It enables players to transition more smoothly when shooting, for example with first time Power Shots or volleying.
- There are also additional tweaks to in-match physics on the PS5 version. Advanced Impact Physics allow for new interactions that are more authentic to real-life football. These include blocks from defenders resulting in grazing deflections, or a fast travelling ball causing a player's legs and feet to be knocked backwards.
FIFA 23 PS5 vs PS4 Graphics
Graphically, both games will look great, but the PS5 version is slightly sharper and more detailed. You can view a video comparison here:
Beyond this, the PS5 version will also incorporate new fan scenes, with new reactions and chants.
FIFA 23 PS5 vs PS4 Price
One of the most obvious differences between the two versions of the game is the price.
As per the PlayStation Store, the Standard Edition of FIFA 23 is £59.99 on the PS4, and £69.99 on PS5. The Ultimate Edition will set you back £89.99, regardless of which platform you are using. This certainly makes the PS5 version appear more appealing for the Ultimate Edition, which offers the following benefits over the Standard Edition:
- 3 days early access
- Dual Entitlement (so PS4 users can upgrade to the PS5 version for free when they upgrade their console)
- Untradeable FUT Ones to Watch item
- Untradeable TOTW 1 Player
- 4600 FIFA Points
There are plenty of differences between the two versions of the game. It's up to you to decide whether they justify the difference in price.
In terms of cross-play, FIFA will support it. But there's a catch. Cross-play will be available, "for players on the same platform generation". So PS5 players can play against Xbox Series X|S Stadia and PC players. PS4 players can play against Xbox One players. There is, however, no cross-play between PS4 and PS5 players.