The latest iteration of the commercial monster that is Pokémon is upon us with Pokemon Legends Arceus. But for some players, despite having patiently waited for the game to become available, they are struggling with the Pokémon Legends Arceus won't open error.
While this issue may be confusing, don't worry, we're here to help. Specifically, we'll tell you what it is, and what you can do about it. If you want to start catching all those new Pokémon, you need to read this.
How To Fix Pokémon Legends Arceus Won't Open Error
If you find yourself thwarted by the Pokémon Legends Arceus won't open error, there are several troubleshooting steps you can take in an effort to resolve the issue. We'd suggest working your way through these in order.
- Start by resetting your console. To do this, hold down the power button for a minimum of three seconds. From here, select Power Options > Restart.
- If the console is totally unresponsive, keep the power button pressed for twelve seconds to force the console to shut down. Leave it off for a minute or two, then turn it back on again.
- Check to see whether you need to update your system.
- See whether there are any pending software updates for the game. Often, issues only reveal themselves after a game has launched, and a patch may follow soon after. So keep your eyes peeled.
- You can also look to see if any data has become corrupted. You can do this as follows:
- Select System Settings on the Home menu.
- Scroll down and select Data Management.
- Select Software, then choose your game.
- Finally, select Check for Corrupt Data, and wait for the Switch to do its thing.
- If none of the above has worked, uninstall Pokémon Legends Arceus and then reinstall it.
Check the microSD Card
If you've exhausted the solutions we mentioned above, then your next step is to check the microSD card. Assuming you are using one in your Switch of course.
- Start by formatting the microSD card.
- Try swapping the microSD card for another one.
- Remove the microSD card from your Switch, and try downloading the game onto the system memory.
If you've got this far, and nothing is working, your final option is to reach out to Nintendo directly for additional support. You can contact them through their support pages.
Pokemon Legends Arceus cartridge won't work
The dreaded Pokemon Legends Arceus won't open error isn't only tied to digital versions of the game. In fact, this issue can also plague digital versions of the game.
Here's how you can fix a Pokemon Legends Arceus cartridge that's not working:
- Make sure the cartridge contacts are clean. If the gold teeth on your cartridge are dirty, the console won't be able to read them.
- Ensure that the cartridge slot isn't too dusty. If it is, attempt to clean the slot with a can of compressed air.
- Delete updates! In OS update 12.1, Nintendo finally allowed users to delete updates. To do this, complete the following steps:
- Select the game that you wish to delete updates from.
- Navigate to Data Management
- Press Delete Software
- This should not delete your save file, just any game updates that may be causing issues.
What Is The Won't Open Error?
For some players, they are finding that when trying to start the game, whether that's a physical or digital copy, they are struggling to get it to open properly. Typical issues are things like a disproportionately long load time, a long lag, the console freezing, or becoming unresponsive.
It isn't immediately apparent why this might be happening, but possible causes include things like corrupted data, issues with the microSD card, or even pending software updates that need installing.
Whatever the underlying cause may be for you, try working through the solutions we've listed. And in most cases, one of them will unlock the door that allows you into the game.