As well as being enormously popular, Genshin Impact does, unfortunately, suffer from its fair share of errors, such as the Genshin Impact Game Files Verification Error. This is something of a recurring motif and seems to have been affecting players no matter which version of the game you are trying to play.
The error manifests itself when you have downloaded the game. You then go to use the launcher, and it throws up an error saying "Game file verification error. Select "Retry" to try again". When this error arises, you won't be able to actually launch the game. Luckily for you, we can help. Read on, for everything you need to know.
How To Fix Genshin Impact Game Files Download Error On PC
As a common and longstanding problem on Genshin Impact, there are a few tried and trusted methods to fix the game files download error. We'll assume you've clicked "retry" without success:
- A good starting place is to allow Genshin Impact administrator privileges on your PC. The game requires administrator access to be able to run properly. To do this:
- Right-click on the Genshin Impact executable file, then select Properties
- Click on the Compatibility tab, and tick the box that says Run this program as an administrator
- Restart the game
- If that doesn't work, try the following:
- On your search bar, type command prompt and select "run as administrator"
- On the command prompt window, type and press Enter
- Perform a reboot, and log in to your admin account (most likely your main Windows account).
- Once done, try to launch the game
- It's also worth temporarily disabling your antivirus to see if this makes a difference, especially if the first fix hasn't worked.
- Another option is to uninstall and reinstall the game, in case a file was corrupted during download.
- You can try using a VPN to re-download the game files. This would be most relevant if you are having issues with a connection to the Genshin server in your area.
- Finally, you can try to unzip the downloaded game files manually, rather than using the launcher to do it automatically. To try this:
- Find and open the Genshin Impact game folder
- Unzip the Genshin Impact compressed file to the same location
- Go to the unzipped folder and launch the game
If none of these fixes works, then it may be worth reaching out to customer support for additional help.
What Causes The Genshin Impact Game Files Download Error?
As you may have already guessed, there are a few different reasons for this error to occur. The fact that it has constantly appeared and reappeared with every update to the game, suggests it is pretty deeply rooted. But it's as much to do with what's happening on your computer, as anything to do with the game. The following are the most common reasons for the file verification error to arise.
- Not having administrator privileges active on the game. Without them, the game won't run properly.
- An overzealous firewall or antivirus can also prevent the launcher from working.
- If there is an issue with your internet connection, this can cause a problem with the download of the game files, potentially corrupting the data. This can be an error caused by an issue with your internet connection, or even an issue on the Genshin servers
- Finally, if the launcher isn't installing the files properly, this can also account for this error arising.
These are the usual causes for the Genshin Impact Game Files error. But hopefully, with our tips, you'll be able to resolve the issue and get back to the world of Teyvat.
Genshin Impact on GeForce NOW
Genshin recently became available on GeForce NOW, having left a limited beta. Hopefully, there won't be any game file issues if you are planning on playing via this route.
But if you do find yourself encountering this problem, we'd still recommend trying the fixes that we outlined earlier.