If you've tried to join a server, you may have encountered the Minecraft Outdated Server error.
But what is this error? Does it wear clothing from the 1990s, listen to The Boo Radleys and long for a drink of Tab Clear? No, of course, it doesn't, that would be ludicrous.
It does stop people from playing Minecraft though. And so we've put together this guide to explain what it is, why it's happening, and how you can resolve the error if it happens to you. So wake up, it's a beautiful morning. And here's the answer for your eyes.
How To Fix The Minecraft Outdated Server Error
If you are suffering from an outdated server error, our best recommendation is to make sure your version of the game is fully up to date. This error seems to be quite common for players on iOS and Android, so here's how to update each of these:
- On Android devices:
- Open Google Play.
- Press the My Apps icon.
- Look for Minecraft.
- Press the Update button if available.
- On iOS:
- Open the App Store.
- Press the Search button.
- Find Minecraft.
- Press the Update button if available.
If that didn't fix the issue for you, try changing the Minecraft version or replacing the Realm with the downloaded version. Detailed instructions are in the following sections.
- Read More: How To Fix Minecraft Error Code 1: Resolve The "Game Ended With Bad State - Exit Code 1" Issue
How To Fix The Minecraft Outdated Server Error Xbox One
If you're on the Xbox Insider program, then you won't be able to join a server with players who are not Xbox Insiders. In this scenario, you'll need to leave the Beta program. You can do this by going to the Xbox Insider Hub.
- From there, go to Insider Content.
- Click on Minecraft, then Manage, then Unenroll.
- You'll then need to uninstall Minecraft and then reinstall it.
Change The Minecraft Version
The launcher will automatically launch the latest version of Minecraft. But if you're trying to join a server that is still on an older version, this may account for the issue.
You can simply change the version of Minecraft that the launcher is using. To do this:
- Open Minecraft and go to Installations.
- Click on New Installation, then Version.
- Select whichever version of the game the server you wish to join is using.
- Finally, click Create, and try to launch the game.
If you're experiencing this issue while trying to play Minecraft Realms, then you need to download the relevant world and replace the Realm with it.
- Select Play.
- Choose the Realm you wish to download. Go to Edit World, then Download World.
- Once it's downloaded, select the Realm you wish to replace. Click Edit World, the Replace World.
- Choose the Realm you've just downloaded, to load it onto your Realm server.
How To Update Minecraft On Switch
If you need to update your Minecraft version on Switch, complete the following steps:
- On your Switch, navigate to the game library and click on Minecraft.
- If an update is available, you will see a prompt asking if you want to update the game. Select Yes.
- Wait for the game to update.
Last But Not Least
If none of the above has worked, then it may well mean that the issue lies with the server's owner, rather than anything at your end. So your final option is to contact that individual to ask them to update the server to the latest version of the game.
To do this, they need to update something called the .jar file on the server.
- Read More: How To Turn Off Tips On Minecraft
What Is The Minecraft Outdated Server Error?
As we've already alluded to, this error stops players from playing Minecraft. When it happens, players are met with the message, "Failed to connect to the server - Outdated Server!".
There are a few common reasons why this error occurs:
- Using the wrong version of Minecraft to try to join a server.
- A server version is no longer supported.
- Your version of Minecraft needs to be updated.
- You're on the Xbox Insider Beta program.
- Your Minecraft Realm needs to be updated.
It can be challenging to pinpoint the specific cause for each individual case. But the majority of issues will fall into one of these categories.
So work through the solutions we listed above, and hopefully, your Minecraft server will no longer be trapped in a 90s time warp.