The GTA 5 Script Hook V Critical Error may sound odd, but it's a critical error that has been blighting GTA V players on PC.
In this article, we'll cover everything you need, to understand what this error is, and what you can do to fix it. If you've been suffering from this particular problem, here is what you need to know.
How to fix GTA 5 Script Hook V Fatal Error on PC
If you have recently updated GTA 5, there's a good chance that you also need to update your Script Hook Application, in order to fix the fatal error. To do this:
- Download the latest application
- Extract the zip file and open the bin folder
- Copy the files from the bin folder into your GTA V installation folder
- Choose copy and replace to overwrite the old files
- Relaunch the game
If the latest version of Script Hook doesn't work, then consider reverting to an older version of GTA 5.
- You need to access downgrade zip files, which are available here:
- Once you have the relevant files, extract and download them, and copy GTAV.exe and GTAVLauncher.exe into the game installation folder
- Choose Replace the files in the destination to overwrite the existing files
- Next, right-click on Update.rpf and press copy
- Then, open the Updates folder (located within the game installation folder) and paste
- Again, choose to Replace the files in the destination
This will revert the game back to an earlier version, which will allow an older version of Script Hook to run without errors. However, when you use the game launcher, it will automatically try to update the game, so it isn't a long-term fix. It is possible to get around this by:
- Downloading a No Launcher Mod
- Extract the RAR file
- Copy both files from the extracted folder and paste them into the GTA V installation folder
- Double click No_GTAVLAUNCHER.exe in order to launch the game without it scanning for updates
What is the GTA 5 Script Hook Critical Error?
The GTA 5 Script Hook V Critical Error won't affect all players. It only applies to people who have downloaded the Script Hook application. This is a modding application that allows players to write scripts, which can then be inserted into the single-player game.
The reason it causes problems is that application is treated as cheat software by the game. So every time the game is updated, it then blocks Script Hook. The Script Hook developers then write a patch of their own, so that it is no longer blocked by the game. It is a continuous game of cat-and-mouse, which leads to this error.
Our fix will hopefully provide you with a workaround until an update is provided by the Script Hook team.