Destiny 2 The Witch Queen Won’t Launch: How To Fix The Witch Queen Not Opening On PC
Toss a coin to your Witch Queen. Or something.
The much-anticipated launch of The Witch Queen is finally upon us, and Destiny 2 fans are rejoicing. Assuming that is, that they aren’t encountering The Witch Queen Won’t Launch issue. To those accursed few, the release of the game has left them cold, lonely, and sad. As if they’ve opened a box of chocolates to find they are all coffee-flavoured.
The good news though, is that we have some advice for you. Not about the coffee-flavoured chocolates. About The Witch Queen. If you’ve encountered the game refusing to launch, there are some tried and trusted steps that can help to mitigate this. Here’s what you need to know.
How To Fix The Witch Queen Not Opening On PC
We’ve said this many times before, across many games: before doing anything else, make sure your computer can actually cope with the demands of the game. The minimum specifications you need are as follows:
- A 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows® 7 / Windows® 8.1 / Windows® 10 64-bit (latest Service Pack)
- Processor: Intel® Core™ i3 3250 3.5 GHz or Intel Pentium G4560 3.5 GHz / AMD FX-4350 4.2 GHz
- Memory: 6 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 2GB or GTX 1050 2GB / AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 105 GB available space
Bear in mind as well, that given this is additional content, you do also need the Destiny 2 base game to be able to play it. If you don’t have the base game, or your computer doesn’t meet the minimum specs, then you can probably stop reading. Nothing else we are going to suggest is going to help you.
But let’s assume your computer does meet these criteria. Here are the steps to take.
Read More: Destiny 2 Error Code Plum: How To Fix Destiny 2 PLUM Anti-Cheat Error
Steps To Try
- Start by checking the server status for the game. If the servers are down, wait until they are back up and running before trying again. Destiny 2 is an online game, so if there are server issues, you won’t be able to play.
- On that basis, it’s also important to make sure your own internet connection is working. So test another app or device. If possible, try switching from WiFi to an Ethernet connection, as this usually enhances stability. You can even try restarting your router.
- Look to see if there are any software updates for the game. There will often be an update for a game on (or just after) it has launched, to fix any glaring issues. If there are any pending updates, download and install them, then try again.
- Make sure you don’t have an overzealous antivirus program blocking the game. They can be particularly eager to disrupt anti-cheat software. So make sure both your game and your anti-cheat software are on the “safe” list for your antivirus.
- You can also try granting the game administrator privileges. Navigate to the executable file, right-click on it, and click on Run as administrator.
- Occasionally, something can go wrong during the installation process. You can verify the integrity of the game files as follows:
- Restart your computer and launch Steam
- Next, you can either right click the game in your Library, or click the gear icon from the game’s Library page on the far right
- From the drop down menu, select Properties…
- Select the Local Files tab and click the Verify integrity of game files… button
- Wait for a few minutes while the process completes.
- If you are overclocking your PC in order to try and maximise performance – don’t. As well as potentially damaging your hardware, it can actually hamper the running of your game. So stop doing it, and see whether this makes a difference.
- Last, but by no means least, you can try uninstalling the game, and reinstalling it.
If you’ve got this far and nothing is working, it’s time to contact Bungie Support for further advice and insight.
What Is The Witch Queen Won’t Launch Issue?
If The Witch Queen isn’t launching, there isn’t a singular cause that can explain it. As the variety of solutions we’ve listed above suggest, there are plenty of potential reasons for it to arise.
Read More: How to fix Destiny 2 Error Code Beagle: Unreadable Game Content
It is increasingly common for games to have issues on release, given their size and complexity. But big, game-breaking bugs are usually quickly identified and fixed. So we can be reasonably optimistic that if there is something underlying that is causing this error, the developers will be quick to get it sorted.