If you are looking for a solution to fix keyboard lag or delay in Windows 10 or Windows 11, then this is the right article for you. This guide will help you fix the issue within minutes.
It's no secret that keyboard lag or delay can be quite irritating, especially if you're just purchased one of the best keyboards money can buy. It's up there with the likes of monitor screen flickering and mouse sensor issues, but as with these problems, there are some easy solutions.
So let Uncle Stealth give you hand and solve your keyboard woes. Here's everything you need to know to fix keyboard delay and input lag.
How to Fix Keyboard Delay or Input Lag
It is very frustrating to be typing something on the keyboard, only for the characters to appear on the screen after an uncomfortable amount of time. The good news is that there are a few things that you can do to help fix this problem. Here you go:
- First, use a different USB port to connect your keyboard.
- Next, try updating your keyboard drivers. This resolves the issue in most cases. To do that:
- Press Windows key + X, then select Device Manager from the menu.
- Find Keyboards, click on the arrow to expand it, then right-click the item under it and select Update driver.
- Restart your computer and check if the problem persists.
- if the problem persists, disable Filter Keys. Filter Keys is an accessibility feature that you can use to control the keyboard repeat rate and ignore repeated keys. To disable:
- Press Windows + I keys to open Settings.
- Select Ease of Access > Keyboard. You will find Keyboard on the left pane, under the section Interaction.
- Find Use Filter Keys and toggle off the button under it (if it is enabled).
- If you are still having problems, run the keyboard troubleshooter. To do that:
- Go to Settings > Update & Security and select Troubleshoot
- Choose Additional troubleshooters
- Select Keyboard and hit Run the troubleshooter. Follow the troubleshooting instructions and finish the process.
- Restart your computer and check if the problem is fixed.
- Finally, change the Keyboard Properties and see if it makes any difference. To do that:
- Press Windows + R keys to launch Windows Run.
- Type "control keyboard" in the dialog box and hit OK.
- Now, shorten the Repeat delay and increase the Repeat rate to eliminate the input lag. Play with the sliders until you find the settings that work best for you.
If none of the above pointers worked, the problem might be related to your keyboard. Try another keyboard and see if it works smoothly. If it does, then it is a call for you to get a new one.
How to Fix Keyboard Delay in Games
Keyboard delay while playing games is an annoying issue that has plagued PC gamers for decades. Many players have reported that while playing games like Valorant, Roblox, CS: GO, Fortnite, and Minecraft, their keyboard sometimes does not respond to the commands instantly.
If you are experiencing only while playing games, it is likely that the high memory usage is lagging your system. In order to fix the keyboard delay while playing games, we have prepared a list of troubleshooting tips that you can try. You are just a step away from a seamless gaming experience. Here is how to fix keyboard delay in games:
- Start by trying out the fixes listed in the previous section.
- If the issue isn't fixed, close unused apps. Your keyboard’s response time may lag when you have monstrous memory-eating processes running on your PC. For example, Google Chrome. Just terminate them. To do that:
- Open Task Manager. Under the Processes tab, you will find all the running processes.
- Sort the processes in the order of high memory usage to low by clicking on Memory.
- Terminate all unnecessary processes.
- Lastly, you can disable background apps to reduce the memory usage of your PC and speed up the input process. You can do that by:
- Press Windows + R to launch Run.
- Enter gpedit.msc into the text box.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\App Privacy.
- Double-click the Let Windows apps run in the background policy in the right pane.
- Check the Disabled box, then select Apply and OK.
Hopefully, this should solve your keyboard delay while playing games. If you still experience keyboard delay while playing games, then we recommend you try a different keyboard and see if that solves the issue. Logitech MX3 could be your next keyboard.
Why Is My Keyboard Lagging?
Keyboard lag can be annoying. It's no fun waiting for seconds for the key to register. Some of the factors that contribute to typing lag on Windows devices are a sluggish computer, faulty USB ports, outdated keyboard drivers, and misconfigured keyboard settings.
A defective keyboard can also contribute to lag. If you think you have a faulty keyboard, go over to this website to test your keyboard delay. Follow the instructions on the website to see if it's actually causing lag.
If you are considering buying a new keyboard, we have compiled a list of the best keyboards in 2022. You can use it as a research resource to make a perfect buy.