If you are wondering how to fix the annoying Oculus Quest 2 mic not working issue, then you are in the right place. We will help you fix it in a jiffy.
The Oculus Quest 2 comes with its own in-built microphone system, to enable you to enjoy party chat while playing. But what happens if you find that your mic doesn't seem to be working? Is there anything you can do?
We'll run through how to test your Oculus Quest 2 mic, and some other troubleshooting pointers, to get things back up and running for you.
Oculus Quest 2 Mic Test
If you're looking to test your microphone:
- The first step is to make sure you have already connected your Oculus Quest 2 to your PC.
- Select Start > Settings > System > Sound
- From here, go to Input > Test your microphone
- There will be a blue bar that should rise and fall in line with you speaking while wearing your Quest 2. If the bar is moving, then your mic is being detected properly by your PC.
But if you are having issues with your mic not working, what can you try in order to fix it? Here are a few suggestions.
How To Fix Oculus Quest 2 Mic Not Working
The first, and arguable simplest thing to try, is a hardware reboot. To do this:
- Hold down the Power button on your Quest 2 until the shutdown screen appears
- Select Restart
- Once your headset has rebooted, you can try the microphone again to see if it is working.
Additionally, there are a few other things worth checking if you are having trouble with. Make sure that your audio drivers are fully up to date, and that you haven't accidentally muted either your PC or the Quest 2. You also need to make sure you have given your PC access to the microphone. To do this:
- Press the Windows button, and in the search box enter microphone privacy. Then select Microphone privacy settings
- Click Change, and allow Microphone access for this device
- Scroll down to Allow apps to access your microphone and toggle the button on
- Further down is Allow desktop apps to access your microphone. Make sure this is also turned on.
How To Fix Oculus Quest 2 Mic Not Working With Link
If you are using the Oculus Link, there is a further step to try. According to Oculus:
To check the audio input and output for your Oculus Quest:
- Open the Oculus app on your computer.
- Click Devices in the left-hand menu, then select Quest and Touch.
- Below Audio Output in VR, make sure that your Quest is selected.
To check the audio input and output for your PC:
- Right-click the Speaker icon in the taskbar in the bottom-right part of your screen, and click Open Sound settings.
- Check that your input and output devices are both set to Oculus Virtual Audio Device.
Additionally, if you are using any third-party VR software on your PC, make sure that Oculus Virtual Audio Device is set as your audio input and output source there as well.
Oculus stated that there is a known issue with Voice Chat when using the Oculus Link. So, make sure you are downloading the latest software updates for your device, as one of these may contain a fix.