How To Turn Off Guardian On Oculus Quest 2: How To Disable Oculus Guardian System
Setting boundaries is overrated anyway.
Turning off the Guardian system on the Oculus Quest 2 is easier than justifying a second bowl of ice cream on a hot day. In this little explainer, we’ll run you through the steps you need to follow. And like a defiant teenager, you’ll be breaking boundaries in no time. Here’s how to turn off Guardian on your Oculus Quest 2.
How To Turn Off Guardian On Oculus Quest 2
In order to turn off the Guardian system on your Oculus Quest 2, the first thing you need is a developer account. You can create one by visiting developer.oculus.com. Creating a developer account only takes a few minutes, and approval is generally swift.
- Once you’ve created the developer account, restart your headset, and reconnect to your device.
- Go to the Oculus app on your phone and click on Settings > Choose Headset > More Settings > Advanced Settings > Enable developer mode
- Sign in on your headset, and go to Settings
- Select See All, and you should be able to see a Developer Options menu.
- In the Developer Option menu is a toggle for turning off Guardian. Toggle it off.
If you want to turn off tracking without using Developer Mode:
- Go to Settings > See All
- Select Device and scroll to the bottom
- Deactivate the Tracking switch
Some users find that Guardian reactivates every time they turn off their headset. So bear this in mind, as you may need to turn it off each time you start a session. But what exactly is Guardian?
Read More: Oculus Quest 2 Vibration Fix: How To Solve Oculus Controller Vibration Not Working
What is Guardian?
In case you aren’t familiar with Guardian, it is a system that Oculus implemented to stop players from injuring themselves while playing. While you are immersed in your virtual world, it does mean that you can’t see if you’re about to fall over a chair or punch a wall. And no game is worth breaking yourself.
So, Guardian is there to keep players safe from harm. It creates a boundary for your VR game, and these will warn you if you are getting close to the edge of your playing area. So in general, it is recommended to leave it turned on.
There are, of course, some circumstances where you might decide to switch it off. Most commonly would be for media consumption – watching a film, say, rather than turning it off during gaming. If you’re sitting down or wearing your quest in bed, then you’re probably safe to turn it off.